Monday, August 16, 2010

Marginal Mom's Club

After Elyse was born I quickly realized that it is IMPOSSIBLE to be a perfect mother. In the months leading up to her birth I thought that I had everything figured out about motherhood. I had great plans and dreams about what I thought it would be like to bring a baby home and then we would have a perfect little family. I read many books and perfect examples of motherhood seemed to be on TV and in movies. I thought if those people can do it, then I can too.

Needless to say my thoughts about being a perfect mother changed quickly. I realized that perfection, while I still aim for it, is not realistic. It is easy to go to bed every night feeling terrible about all the things that have gone wrong that day.

I don't remember exactly how I came up with the idea or when it happened, but I needed something to make me realize that it is okay if I am not 100% perfect. I may have invented the club when I forgot the whole diaper bag when I was going to be away from home for 8+ hours. This is something that I have done two times. (FYI- larger diapers borrowed from someone else will work in a pinch and SAMS club has diapers in a little dispenser in the women's restroom for $1 and it includes a few wipes) Or I could have thought of the idea when we went on vacation to New England and I didn't take anything with long sleeves for Elyse. Needless to say she is wrapped in a blanket in many of the pictures. Or many other times that I haven't been the perfect mother.

There is something very freeing in being able to say, "It's okay because I am the president of the Marginal Mom's Club." Don't get me wrong, I still feel bad for situations, but it is impossible to be 100% perfect all the time.

If you have a story of something you have done to be in the 'club', please let me know. I will be electing officers soon, so get your stories to me! haha

No comments:

Post a Comment