Saturday, July 4, 2009

HAPPY 4th of JULY!

I absolutely love Independence Day!  It is my favorite holiday.  The day just combines so many of my favorite things into one day.  The sun, fireworks, grilling out and swimming makes the 4th of July my absolute favorite!  We went to a Red's game today (the 5th) and then had a cookout tonight at my parents house.  Here is a funny story....

So every major holiday, when the weather is nice, my family makes homemade vanilla ice cream.  Granny makes the ice cream and my mother takes care of freezing it.  The process of freezing it involves getting tons of ice and the right amount of ice cream salt in the canister so that the motor can run and freeze the ice cream.  And you MUST use ice cream salt, or the whole process will not work. 

So tonight, while we were eating, my mom and granny had to keep getting up to check on the ice cream.  They had the wrong motor in the canister, so it wasn't freezing correctly.  While they were in the basement getting the other ice cream motor, my dad said to Ryan and me, "I have been in this family now for almost 38 years and there is always something going on with the ice cream."  No truer statement has ever been spoken.  There is always something going on with the homemade ice cream.  It could be the machine, we do not have enough eggs, we need vanilla, there isn't enough ice, the wrong type of milk products, we need more ice cream salt or any number of other things that can go wrong.  

I must say, however, when I had a bowl of homemade vanilla ice cream tonight I thought, I am so thankful that my mother and granny always go to all the effort to make it for us!  Even though it never seems to go smoothly!

A quick note about our 3rd anniversary.  Ryan returned from Europe late on July 1st.  We got to bed after midnight.  However, we had tickets to a Red's game on the 2nd at 1:00.  We got up and went to the game. He suggested that we leave Elyse with my mom and dad.  After the game we were walking back to our car and he looked at me and said, "Would you rather turn right and go to our car, or turn left and go to the Cincinnatian Hotel?"  Long story short, this is our favorite hotel.  It is a historic hotel in downtown Cincinnati.  We went out that evening to 
J. Alexanders, and then spent the night downtown.  J. Alexanders is one of our favorite restaurants.  It was my first night away from Elyse, but it was very comforting to know that she was with my parents.  

Thank You Ryan for a WONDERFUL 3rd Anniversary!  

No comments:

Post a Comment